Friday, April 7, 2017

Exchanges For Days! And Dates! 3-13-17

So this week I am going to switch up my weekly email and see how it goes.  To give a little briefing; we drove to Knoxville twice this week.  We had 2 exchanges with the Chatt Valley Elders and the APs.  We also have a family on date for baptism April 1st.  No, it is not an April Fool’s joke.  They are an awesome family.  A little funny thing though about them.  We have had about 5 lessons with them in the past few weeks since I have been here and I have only got to teach them for 1 of those.  It's just the way it goes when we have exchanges and team up splits with members.

So some cool things happened this week.  On Tuesday we had a lesson with the Drakes.  I was going to it with a member and I had no idea what I was supposed to teach for the lesson.  We said a prayer and during the prayer I had the thought to do a testimony meeting.  The husband and wife are members and the daughter is not.  The wife is recently baptized so we are working with both of them.  We started out by reading Alma 7 and then we started talking about baptism.  I asked both of the parents what it meant to them to have the gospel in their lives.  They both gave good testimonies and so did the member I had with me.  We turned our focus more onto the girl at this point and we talked to her about some of her concerns.  In the end, I was able to bear my testimony of the power of the Book of Mormon.  It was one of the most powerful lessons I have been in.  The daughter is not quite ready, but I think she felt something and made some progress.

Another thing that happened this week was when I was watching the Youth Face to Face with Elder Holland and President Eyring.  They talked about prayer one time and I took some of the things that they said and applied them.  I have tried to say my prayers by kneeling upright.  Not leaning on or over anything.  And before I even start praying, I sit there and wait until I feel ready to approach the throne of God.  Then at the end of my prayer I stay kneeling upright for a time, just listening.  Having my mind clear and just trying to focus on the Spirit and any impressions I receive.  The first time I did this I saw a huge change and I have done it ever since.  A lot of times we say our prayers and then just move on.  A prayer is a conversation and it isn't much of a conversation if we just talk and don’t listen for a response.  We talk and then He talks.  I encourage all of you to try it.  It makes a huge difference.  I would also encourage you to take a question you have to church and pray about it during the Sacrament and then listen to the talks and lessons given.  I did that for a question I had and during the Sacrament I received my answer through the scriptures.  A scripture came to my mind after my little prayer and it was definitely the answer I was supposed to receive.  Church is the best place to receive revelation.

I love you all and leave these things with you in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Elder Ellison

Learning to Play My Ukelele

The District

Nice View

Transfers

E. Leahman Returned for a Visit

No comments:

Post a Comment