Monday, December 28, 2015

Merry Christmas To All!!! 12-28-15

Wow - the weather has been really nice lately.  We had a 70 degree Christmas, which was awesome.  This is a very weird winter, according to the people here, but I am not complaining.  We also had a week full of service.  This transfer has flown by.  I can't believe there are only 2 weeks left until the next one.  My ponderize scripture this week is John 5: 30 which says, "I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgement is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me." This is Christ talking with his apostles and I think it applies to me too.  It is humbling to remember that I can do nothing without His help and the things that He gives me.  I also need to stop being selfish or just thinking of myself.  I must “put off the natural man” (Mosiah 3: 19) and submit my will to the Lords and seek His will.  He has sent me at this specific time for a reason and a purpose that I am figuring out each day as I strive to follow His will.

Monday we went to downtown Nashville with a member from one of the other missionary’s last area, who lives here now.  We went to the Parthenon, which was cool.  It is an exact replica of the original Parthenon in Athens.  Then we went to this mural that says “I Believe in Nashville.”  Then we went to the strip.  We were followed for a bit by a creepy, drunk construction worker.  He asked us for money, but had no idea what we were saying.  Something was “off” about him, but we met the other Elders in a boot store and lost him.  We then went to lunch in a bar (yep – but not what your thinking) and had some live entertainment as well (music).  Then later that night we taught Devante again, which was a pretty good lesson on the Plan Of Salvation.

Tuesday we helped out at the Bishop's Storehouse again.  Then we helped a member dig a trench in preparation to start pouring concrete.  Later that night, we taught Devante and some of his cousins about the Restoration.  The spirit was so strong in that lesson and they all said that if they came to know that the Book of Mormon was true, they would all want to be baptized. It was sweet.

Wednesday we helped set up the concrete forms.  We had to go in early that night because the entire Nashville area was under a tornado warning.  We didn't get a big storm like some areas, but it was a little scary to think that there might be a tornado coming through.  We played a game called Redneck Life.  It's like the game Life, but redneck style.  It's fun.

Thursday we worked some more on the concrete project and then had a Christmas Eve dinner with the Bishop's family.  That was about it.

Friday was Christmas!  We got to Skype home in the morning, which was really fun.  Then we went to lunch at a member’s home with the other Elders in our ward.  Then we went to their cousin's home for dinner.  We had another dinner later that night.  We hit a possum on the way home.  We decided to take it home, skin it and put it in the freezer to eat later.  I do have to mention that my companion pretty much did most of the skinning part, since I don’t have much experience in that area.  The Robertson’s on Duck Dynasty would be proud that the possum didn’t go to waste.  I can’t believe I’m saying this, but “Yes, we are having possum for dinner!”

Saturday we poured concrete into the forms we set up.  Then we had dinner with an awesome family and that was about it - nothing else to report.

Sunday I gave a talk on Feed My Sheep.  Most of it was taken from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk in the October 2013 General Conference entitled “The First Great Commandment.”  I encourage all of you to go read it or watch it again.  Later, we helped a member install a new water heater and did some tracting, with no luck.  The holidays stink as a missionary, teaching wise.

So my week was pretty good and it was filled with lots of good memories. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, full of gifts and remembrance of our Savior.  I hope you also have your New Year’s resolutions ready (that will mostly not be fulfilled, like every year -haha). There is one resolution that I want to keep 100% and that is to read the scriptures and pray every day.  I hope we can all do that this year.  The world is getting more evil and the only way to fight against it is with good.  Good always wins in the movies and books and life.  Just like Christ did against Satan. Satan tempted him and what did Christ use in defense? He used scriptures, which I found out this last week, were all located in the book of Deuteronomy. Reading our scriptures helps us learn how to build up a wall of defense almost like Captain Moroni built for the cities of the Nephites.  It is the best way to keep our thoughts and words clean.  They are a great tool and should be used like one.  I have learned a lot from some talks my mom has sent me from a guy named Hank Smith.  He is really good and funny too.  This has been a great year and I am looking forward to being able to spend this next year as a missionary too.  I couldn't ask for a better way to spend it.  Have a wonderful new year and congratulations to my cousin, Savannah for getting married this week. Wish I could be there. Good bye y'all.

Elder Ellison
Christmas District Meeting


1 of 3 Christmas Dinners - That's Right!

Roadkill - Possum For Dinner!


P-Day in Nashville

Parthenon in Nashville

Service Op - Setting Up Concrete Forms

No comments:

Post a Comment