Sunday, January 10, 2016

Happy New Year! 1-4-16


So Happy New Year everyone!  Also, congratulations to my cousin, Savannah, for getting married.   Wish I could have been there.  Well, my dream winter is coming to an end.  The temperatures were in the low 40s this week, but luckily we have the car until transfers.  I am currently in a trio, last week and this coming week.  One of the Elders in the other area of our ward went home to straighten some things out, but is planning on coming back out soon.  It was sad.  So other than that, the week has gone well.  My ponderize scripture this week is James 4: 10, "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up." I have recently been trying to humble myself more.  I know that when we are humble, the Lord can mold us and shape us into who He NEEDS us to be.  I love the quote in The Restoration movie when a man is sick and he says to Joseph, "My pride has brought me very low."  Joseph responds with, "Now the Lord can lift you higher."  I just love that line because he humbled himself and the Lord was able to bless him.  I know that by being humble I can surrender myself to the Lord and do whatever it is that He needs me to do.

Monday actually started late Sunday night.  We had to drive to Springfield at 11:15pm and didn’t get to sleep until 3:45am.  We had to get up at the usual time so we only got like 3 hours of sleep. We stayed in White House for P-day and did some service.  We helped a member pull out some of her concrete frames.  Then we had a really good Family Home Evening at the Cousin's. 

Tuesday, because our District Leader went home, his companion became the new one.  I got to go on an exchange to Gallatin with Elder Blackburn.  He is from Layton, Utah.  We worked at the Bishop’s Storehouse for a while and later found two “potentials” during tracting.  We had a lesson on the Plan of Salvation with a pretty cool guy.  We even set up a baptismal date with him.

Wednesday I stayed in Gallatin and we did service for a lady.  We trimmed her flowers and shrubs and then asked if she would be interested in hearing our message.  We set up a return appointment.  Nothing really happened during the day, but we had an awesome lesson with a member.  We taught the Restoration and it went really well.  They liked our message, except the man has trouble with believing in modern day prophets.  We had a good discussion though.

Thursday we exchanged back.  We had interviews with President Anderson, which were good.  For some reason, for the first time ever, I teared up when he asked me to bear my testimony on the Book of Mormon.  I could have said more, but it was hard to go on after saying just a few things.  (I will expound on it later).  So we got back and went tracting and found a “potential.”  We had to be in by 6pm though because of all the crazy New Year’s people driving on the roads.  So since we were on our property, we went over to our landlord’s home and played a game.  They had a football game on, which I didn't mind too much -haha.  We stayed up and did our New Year’s count down.

Friday we got the whole day off.  We call it Super P-day.  We were able to watch certain approved movies.  A member, the one who took us to Nashville, brought us a 63" TV and DVD player so we could watch in our apartment. The Gallatin Elders came over as well and we watched 6 movies throughout the day.  We watched Minions, Catching Faith, Inside Out, Cars, an old western, and Ratatouille.  If I wasn't a missionary, I probably would have had more fun just staring at the ceiling than watching movies all day, but since this was a once-a-year thing, and I never get to watch TV, it was good.  We had a blast.  It was nice being able to relax for the whole day.

Saturday we were back to work and we tried a couple people, but we were only able to teach one less-active member.  Later that night, I think it was a mixture of tiredness and a slice of key lime pie, we made some awesome video clips with a nerf gun. 

Sunday we went to church at our new time – 11am.  Afterwards, we drove to Springfield to spend a couple days there since now we have to cover two areas temporarily.  We will return to White House Thursday morning.  We tried a lot of people, but were only able to make contact with a few.  We taught the Restoration to three ladies, which went well.  We met with a less-active and talked with him for a bit too.  We set up a few return appointments.

So that was our week.  I mentioned earlier that I would expound on my testimony of the Book of Mormon:   I know that this book is true.  As I read it every day and study it, which is the real key, I am learning so much.  I am currently reading about Captain Moroni and some of the war chapters and I am noticing all of the missionary verses that are in those chapters that I never saw before.  I also have a desire to change as I read it.  It makes me just think about my home life and how I want to change some things when I get home.  One of them being, reading this book everyday.  I wasn't the best at it and I want to change that.  This book is changing me and my life.  I love Joseph Smith's comment in the Introduction about how a man will get nearer to God by abiding by it’s precepts, than by any other book.  I know that statement to be true.  I cannot express how grateful I am for this book.  I KNOW this book to be true.  I know this book changes lives for the better.  If you are not reading this book, then start now.  If you are reading the scriptures and not this book, that is great, but your learning, studies, and knowledge will be enhanced tremendously if you include the Book of Mormon.  I just read a wonderful talk in the January Ensign entitled Were My Studies Sufficient?  It talks about how important the Book of Mormon is.  I hope you all add this to your resolutions to read it every day from now on.  I can promise you that you will find more joy in your life, understand more things spiritually, changes for the better will occur, and so much more.  I love each and every one of you.  I hope you all have a great 2016.  And I leave y'all with this in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, amen.


Elder Ellison
And Then There Were Three - Trio

Back-Breaking Work at the Bishop's Storehouse.  They are heavier than they look!



No comments:

Post a Comment