Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Back To The Sticks 4-18-16

So I am now in Jamestown. It is more in the sticks than Dickson was.  I like it so far.  My new address is 246 Rugby Ave Apt A3, Jamestown, TN 38556.  A lot of the people here are awesome.  We had a pretty good week so far.  It has been pretty hot and the temperatures are on the climb.  We don't have a huge teaching pool, but the people we do have are pretty solid and we are hoping some choose to be baptized soon.  My ponderize scripture was Doctrine and Covenants 6: 36, "Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not."  This is a great scripture because the Lord Himself is telling us to always look to Him.  As well as to never doubt or fear the things to come.  Through Him, all things are possible.  We have been told by President Uchtdorf to doubt our doubts first, when they come.  The Lord is number one and always will be.  All I can express to you all is to ALWAYS look to Him and never stop.

Monday was my last day in White House.  The other Elders in the district came down and we played disc golf.  Almost got under par, but was 3 throws short.  We also played a little football.

Tuesday we made the long 3 hour drive from Nashville to Jamestown.  It is the area that is the furthest east in the mission.  Our area is huge.  It is like a 20 minute drive to the nearest town.  They don't have neighborhoods and the homes are really spread out so tracting is super hard.  Elder Smith is from Lubbock, Texas.  He is super fun and we get along pretty well.   I basically met all of our investigators in one day.  Our best lesson was with a girl and her dad who are a referral from some awesome members.   We taught them the Plan of Salvation.  They accepted it and they said they would pray to know if this was true.  We are hopefully going to set a date next time for them to be baptized.

Wednesday I got to meet our district at District Meeting.  We then had lunch and stopped by an elderly lady's home just to visit and well, of course, she wanted to feed us so we had two lunches.  We were so full.  She is a very nice lady though too.  Then after a couple hours of trying to find some people to teach and share the restoration with, we had dinner and I didn't even eat half of it because I was still so full.

Thursday we had a lesson with a guy named Adam.  He is a super nice guy.  It was a good lesson.  We shared how this gospel can bring happiness into his life even more.  He has gone through some hard things in his life.  One is that he has terets (yes I know that is wrong spelling but I have no idea how it is spelled haha) (Tourette Syndrome). I feel bad for him because of some of the struggles he has with it, but I know God still loves him and will help him.  Then we gave a member a blessing before he started his new medication.  We also did a little service for them.

Friday we did some service for the Millers.  We helped them put up a chicken coop.  That was fun and hot.  We had to watch out for lots of ticks because they were everywhere.  It also was really hot and we got a little sunburned.  It felt good to be back to those days though.

Saturday we didn’t have much luck unfortunately. We helped a member clean the church because she was doing it by herself - we just couldn't let that happen.  Then when we were at dinner with a member, they randomly asked me right before I left to bear my testimony to them.  I didn't hesitate at what I was going to say nor did I just go through the normal things that people always say.  I was very surprised that it only took me a couple seconds to know what to bear my testimony on – that is new for me.  I will share it with you at the bottom.

Sunday we had church and not much else throughout the day.  We had dinner and then I got to teach my first New Member lesson.  It was awesome and super spiritual.  I was surprised because I shared a little bit from Hank Smith, who I have mentioned earlier, to talk about the Book of Mormon.  Then later that night, I was shown by some members that some of the stars out here move.  It is a little weird, but they actually move up, down, left, and right.

As I said earlier, I will share with you my testimony as I did at that member’s home.  I know I have shared it before, but it is so important that I have to share it again:  I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I have prayed about it and felt that confirmation from the Holy Ghost that it is God’s word.  Throughout my own life I have seen the difference between when I was reading it and when I wasn't.  I was a completely different person, at least in my own eyes and perspective, and I never want to be that person who didn't read it again.  Family scripture study is great, but I NEVER want to miss a day with my own personal reading.  Even if it is just one verse at night.  If we miss even just one day, that wall that we have been building upward and layering to protect ourselves from Satan, will have him pounding on it with a sledge hammer every day.  The day we miss, is the day he will hit and a crack will form.  Then he will swing even stronger and harder.  We need to always be reinforcing our wall of protection with the scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon.  Today I kind of realized something.  The Bible is from another person’s point of view who just wrote down what they saw.  Those things are all great and the principles are to, but it is just like school.  We are taught these principles, but then we need to have an example of how it works.  That is the Book of Mormon.  It shares exactly those real-life experiences that people went through.  They actually tell you what they felt and how they got through it.  It shows how the Atonement of Jesus Christ can actually be applied into our lives and how it can help us.  A great example of this real-life experience is from a prophet named Alma.  It shares what his experience was with the Atonement.  If you don't have a copy of the Book of Mormon, get one.  If you do, then read Mosiah ch. 27 and Alma ch. 36.  These are wonderful examples and there are lots more.  This book is true and I know it.  Everyone can know it too if you will just read and pray with an open heart , open mind, and with real sincerity.  I love this gospel and I don't know what I would do without it.  I love my Savior and I say these things in His name, Jesus Christ, amen.

Elder Ellison

Saying Goodbye to the Cousins

Last Day With Elder Nimmer

Say Hello to Lois

New Companion - Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment