Monday, October 12, 2015

Almost 6 Weeks 10/12/15

So this is my last week being a “Greenie Greenie.”  After 6 weeks, I will just be considered a regular “Greenie.”  We get transfer calls this Saturday, but Elder Wardle and I will probably stay here for at least one more transfer.  We shall see.  I had a vegetable called oakra this week which was sort of OK, but not the best.

Tuesday we had our truck back from the shop which was nice.  We went and saw Kristen at work and she said she just had a stressful week and blocked out everyone for a few days.  She didn't end up getting baptized last Saturday. :(  Later we went and saw a man named Bobby.  We tracked into him and we taught him about the Book of Mormon and he really liked it.  It was an awesome lesson and we answered some of his questions too.  He is an awesome guy.  We then went and had Taco Tuesday at a member’s home.  They were delicious.  We also saw Shaun and Taleda.  We talked with Shaun for a bit and then he told us he had been reading the Book of Mormon every morning this week with his kids.  It was awesome - he is really progressing.  We were really stoked and honestly, a little surprised too.

Wednesday I went on an exchange to Fairview with Elder Nalder.  We got there and set out on the bikes.  I used his companion’s bike and let's just say his seat is not very comfortable.  My butt was sore for a few days after that.  We didn't see anyone all day until after dinner.  A member took us around and we saw a man named Joe.  He was cool and wanted to plan a time where we could sit down and talk with him and his family.  He has even read a few pages of the Book of Mormon already.  It was awesome!

Thursday we went and volunteered at a place called Meals On Wheels.  We put together portable meals for people.  It was interesting and fun to learn how they do it.  We then went and did some contacting.  We found a few people that wanted to hear more of the Discussions.  Later we had dinner with some members and then went on splits.  So not only was I a new missionary visiting a new city, but I’m going on splits with a member I just met to visit an Investigator I’ve never met and would be in charge of the discussion to boot.   I was so nervous and a little lost too.  The member drove us to Centerville and I met Johnny.  He was all over the place, but since I was the only missionary there, it forced me to talk more and I actually liked it.  We taught him a great lesson and answered some questions.  It was great.  I could definitely feel the Spirit there.  The member helped out too because he was a convert and shared his story.  We then went and saw a lady named Tammy and even though she didn't have time to talk, I was able to bear my testimony to her of the Book of Mormon.  I felt really good about it afterwards.

Friday we switched back and E. Wardle and I went to a town called White Bluff all afternoon.  We contacted less-actives.  We were totally in the back country – real, live red neck territory.  I’ve only seen that type of area in movies - it was awesome to see in real life.  We had dinner with a recent convert and then went back to Dickson.  We went and saw two brothers name Troy and Phillip.  They are by far my favorite people.  They are so funny - you can hardly tell what they’re saying, but it doesn’t matter.  Elder Wardle says they are usually drunk when we see them, but they weren’t today.  I also trimmed my companion’s hair today.  I did a good job, if I do say so myself.

Saturday we helped out at the Humane Society again and walked the dogs.  I mostly did some “socializing” with one of the dogs because she is very nervous, but super sweet.  After that we went to Brandon's and he said he watched about 45 minutes of conference.  That was great because we were hoping for 15.  The Spirit is chipping away at him bit by bit.  Later that day we went tracting and we knocked on a door.  This guy comes out and the first thing he says is "Do you guys want to come to my church?  You’re inviting me to yours so why don't you come to mine?"  We threw him a curve ball by saying, “Sure.”  We would have gone yesterday, but it was during our church so we are going to the Wednesday night Bible Study.  When we asked him what time and what type of service it was, he didn't even know, but we’ll figure it out.

Sunday was an exciting day.  So we went to church and taught a man named Michael that is really close to baptism.  After that we went out with Bro. Rivers and saw a lady that is less-active right now, but she did watch conference.  That night we went to a Pentecostal church called Power And Praise.  We were invited by one of the ministers.  It was like a rock concert and people were jumping up and down and running around the room.  The preaching was crazy too.  After the preaching, they were praying and speaking in "tongues"(seemed like gibberish to me).  We saw what they call someone “receiving the Holy Ghost.”  It was crazy – I’ve never seen anything like it.  I am definitely learning a lot about the different ways other churches worship God.  Feeling the Spirit means something totally different to me – a lot more peaceful.  Afterwards we went and saw Shaun again.  We taught him the Restoration and he asked us to give him homework, like scriptures to read and stuff like that.  It was awesome.  He is really progressing.  Afterwards we were driving to the church and Troy (one of the brothers we saw on Friday) was walking back home from a gas station and we slowed down in the middle of an empty road and said, “Hi.”  He came over and just hopped into the truck haha.  We were just like, “OK, I guess we’ll drive him home.”  Probably for the best because he wreaked of alcohol and was pretty much drunk.  I have to admit I laughed hard afterwards.  Drunk people say and do the weirdest things.

I will talk to y'all next week.

Elder Ellison

No comments:

Post a Comment