Tuesday, November 10, 2015

A Week of Lessons 11/9/15

So this week was good.  We actually had a few days in the high 60s, it was nice.  We had a lot of lessons with people too.  My ponderize scripture was 1 Timothy 6: 17. It says, "Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who gives to us richly all things to enjoy."  My thoughts are that God gives us everything.  Everything we have is because of Him.  So if we are blessed with riches or anything else, we should not boast or be proud or puffed up in ourselves.  Those things are blessings and He can take them away as quickly as He gave them.  We also should use them to help others.  God gave them to us for a reason and that is to help out our brothers and sisters.

Monday was P-day and we did our normal stuff and then went fishing again.  I was the only one to catch 2 fish, but they were small so we only kept one of them.

Tuesday we taught Monica a little bit and extended a soft baptismal invitation.  Then we taught a daughter of a member who is getting baptized in a month.  That was about it.

Wednesday I was in charge of our area because we did exchanges.  Elder Jorgenson came to Dickson to join me.  We had to drop Brenda as an investigator because she isn't focused right now on the commitments she makes to learn and gain a testimony of her own. Then we tracted and got “anti-ed” by a guy who went off on us and then referenced Jude verse 3 saying that’s why he thinks we don't have the full gospel.  I think he got his scriptures mixed up because that one is referring to Jude writing to his brothers and sisters in the gospel that share a “common salvation” and how they need to defend their faith.  So I don’t really know what he was talking about.  Oh well, I know this church is true and that it is the full gospel and I am out here looking for people who are interested and ready to hear it.  Then they can make up their own minds about it after they have taken the time to learn and pray about it.  Later, we went out to Waverly and saw Michael with Bro. Rivers. I also got to drive for the first time since being out here.  It was awesome.

Thursday we switched back companions.  We then went out with Marcus and taught Mike.  We taught him the first half of the Plan of Salvation.  We did that same lesson 2 other times that day.  It was a good lesson with him.  That night we went and saw a less-active member and just checked to see how she has been doing.  Then we rushed over to the church to see another less-active member and taught him the Plan of Salvation.  And the last lesson we had that night was with John and Tracey, also the Plan of Salvation.  They had lots of questions and I think they understood, but they made it a little more complicated for themselves.  They thought it was really deep and difficult, but it wasn't.  It is a simple plan that Heavenly Father wants all of His children to understand.  Other than that, we had a good lesson with them.  I got told I looked 15 years old by a lady we tracted into and 16 by the less-active we taught that night.  Haha.  It was great - I take it as a compliment.  It just means I will look young when I am really old - haha.

Friday we tracted into 2 new investigators.  We are going back next Tuesday to see them.  We also helped some members clean the church that night.  Later, we tracted into a non-practicing LDS guy which was interesting.

Saturday we got up early to go help with Habitat For Humanity.  It was our ward's day and we helped build this lady's house.  We put up doors and painted.  Those days on the farm with all that painting and staining sure helped out, although I think half of the paint got on me instead.  It was on my pants, shirt, name tag, hair, face, arms, and shoes.  It was everywhere.  That took up most of the day and then we went to see a less-active.  He had a sweet Afro.  He had grown up LDS, but started to reject God after his father died.  He has recently started changing his life around and turning back towards God.  It was awesome and he has some crazy stories.  He has been through a lot.  We then went to go see another less-active, but she was asleep with her baby so we talked with her boyfriend instead.  A lot of his thoughts and ideas relate to what the church teaches.  I think we will start teaching him soon, hopefully.

Sunday we taught Michael about service at church during the third hour.  We also had the primary program that day. Later, we tracted for a bit and the first door we knocked on said to come back later because he was sick. He may have been trying to get rid of us, but we said we would come back – so we will.  Then we went to an 8 year old boy's baptism.  After that we went to the Christian Faith Center church.  The minister was kind of funny and then some weird, crazy things happened towards the end.  I had one of those “this isn't right” feelings inside while I was there.  He asked us if he could pray for us, but we declined because we didn't want to get involved with all that stuff that made us feel weird.  We left as soon as we could.

Well we had a good week with lots of good lessons.  I just want to say that I know this church is true.  I know that the Lord blessed us each day.  I know that this gospel changes people's lives for the better.  I know that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His son Jesus Christ.  I know that he was called as a prophet of God and that he restored Christ’s church back onto the earth again.  I know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God on the earth today and that he, as well as the twelve apostles, receive revelation to know how to better move this work forward and bless the lives of many.  I know that Christ atoned for my sins so that I can repent of my sins, change, and live with Him and my family again forever.  I know that the Book of Mormon is true.  I have felt the Holy Ghost confirm to me it’s truthfulness.  I am so grateful to be a missionary and called to serve among these wonderful people.  I know that God has been preparing many across this world to be ready to hear His gospel.  I leave these things with you guys in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Elder Ellison
Habitat For Humanity Service

No comments:

Post a Comment